By: Butch Harmon
High school football Week 2 preview
After a week one that was interrupted by severe weather, area teams are ready for some more fall-like conditions for week 2 of the high school football season. High School Sports Scene breaks down some of the key games to watch this Friday.
- DEWITT (1-0) at PORTLAND (1-0): These long-time rivals meet for the first time since the 2014 season. DeWitt is coming off a big week one win that saw them travel to Traverse City Central where it claimed a 31-26 win. DeWitt quarterback Andrew Schorfhaar made an impressive starting debut as he completed 14-of-28 passes for 203 yards and three touchdowns while rushing for 126 yards and a touchdown. Portland turned in an impressive defensive effort in its opener as it blanked Ovid-Elsie 35-0. The Portland defense allowed just 42 yards of total offense in the win. Portland quarterback Owen Wilson led the offense as he passed for 116 yards and two scores while rushing for 49 yards. Blake Meyers added 89 yards rushing.
- GRANDVILLE (1-0) at EAST LANSING (1-0): East Lansing opened the season with an impressive 27-0 shutout of St. Johns. Trojan senior quarterback Sam Busch led the way as he threw for 226 yards and four scores while running back T’Senre Gray added 112 yards rushing. East Lansing faces a tough test in a Grandville squad that defeated Lockport, Illinois 47-24.
- FREELAND (1-0) at ESSEXVILLE-GARBER (1-0): The game of the week in the TVC Central, Freeland and Garber opened the season with impressive wins. Freeland outlasted Marshall 27-26 in a double-overtime thriller. Essexville-Garber opened the season with a 20-6 win against Boynce City. Garber quarterback Adam Shimel passed for 168 yards and a score while running back Greg Christe rushed for 109 yards and a touchdown.
- ITHACA (1-0) at MILLINGTON (0-1): Ithaca is looking for some payback after Millington ousted the Yellowjackets in the playoffs last fall. Ithaca junior quarterback Brady Hessbrook was impressive in a week one win against Hudson as he passed for 167 yards and two touchdowns while rushing for 125 yards and a score.
- ST. LOUIS (1-0) at SAGINAW NOUVEL (1-0): It’s a battle of unbeatens to kick off the TCV West II season. Nouvel put up an impressive 58 points in a win against Sandusky in week one. Nouvel quarterback Jack Kujawa turned in a big game as he passed for 381 yards and accounted for six total touchdowns. St. Louis kicked off the season with a 24-12 win against Montabella.
- LOWELL (1-0) at ROCKFORD (1-0): After a down season last fall Lowell opened with a solid 19-6 win against Detroit Loyola. Red Arrow quarterback Brett Spanbauer ran for one score and passed for one to Jacob Lee while Andy Anschutz added a rushing touchdown. Rockford opened the season in a big way with a 24-14 win against Grand Rapids Christian. Jaiden Friesen led the Ram offense with 149 yards and two scores. Rockford junior Ben Tadych turned in a big game on defense with 4.5 tackles for loss, two forced fumbles and two sacks along with seven total tackles.
- OSCODA (1-0) at COLEMAN (1-0): Coleman opened the season with a 22-16 win against Farwell. Coleman quarterback Tyler Germain turned in a big game as he passed for 198 yards and three touchdowns.
- BEAVERTON (1-0) at SHEPHERD (1-0): A pair of unbeatens meet in opening-week action in the Jack Pine Conference. Beaverton is coming off a 16-6 win against Breckenridge while Shepherd turned in a 42-22 win against Big Rapids.
- GRANT (1-0) at CENTRAL MONTCALM (1-0): After going winless last fall, Central Montcalm opened the season with a 22-20 win against Morley-Stanwood. The Hornets look to keep things going against a Grant team that posted a 37-6 win against Shelby.