December 12, 2019
By: John Raffel
By: John Raffel
Bay City Central basketball team optimistic
School: Bay City Central High School
Head Coach Name: Jordan Duby
Sport: Varsity Boys Basketball
Conference: Saginaw Valley League (SVL North)
First regular season with a winning record since 2004. (10-9 )
First time beating Arthur Hill since 1997 (won both matchups)
Ended a 20 game losing streak vs. Dow High.
9 Wins vs. SVL opponents
4 Players selected to the All-SVL teams
- Elias Ramirez: Elias is one of the most decorated basketball players in school history. Ranking among the top 5 in career points, assists, FT%, games played. He was the Bay County leader in PPG, FT% and earned the Player of the Year award. 1st Team All-SVL.(Four year varsity player)
- Marcus Marcott: Marcus was a very versatile player who contributed on both ends of the court. Marcus earned 2nd Team All-Area and 2nd Team All-SVL. He led Bay County in RPG. (Four year varsity player)
- Austin Williams: Austin was another player who contributed in a variety of ways for our team last year, ranking among the Bay County leaders in points and rebounds. Austin earned HM All-SVL last year and has agreed to return to our program as an assistant coach for the JV. (Four year varsity player)
- Brian Elder: Brian was defensive leader for our team last year and was a great leader in the locker room. Brian earned HM All-SVL and is still a member of our program coaching a 6th grade team at Handy Middle School.
- Hayden Jatczak (Senior - 6'4" - Guard): Hayden is entering his third season as a varsity starter. Hayden is expected to take a major leap forward for this years team, an experienced leader who has added a variety of skills to his game. We expect Hayden to perform at an All-SVL level this season and contribute in a variety of ways offensively and defensively. He is much improved in his shooting, passing, rebounding and defensive abilities.
- Jacob Brown (Senior - 6'1 - Forward): JB is transitioning from being a role player to a leader in our basketball program. JB brings an excellent basketball IQ, playmaking abilities, and a toughness that will lead him to a successful senior campaign. We expect JB to be a leader and compete at an All-SVL level during the 2019-2020 season.
- Coming off of back to back 10 win campaigns, we expect to be in that mix once again. This year's team is a very competitive bunch and one that looks forward to the competitive grind that the SVL Conference offers on a nightly basis. We are expecting to be battled tested group and hitting our stride in time to compete come tournament time.
- Our team's greatest strengths this year will our team-first approach on both ends of the court, and playing to our strengths as a unit.
- Our team's greatest weakness heading into the 2019-2020 season will be our lack of varsity experience. All of our guys have played and contributed at the lower levels, and the regular season will allow us the opportunity to gain valuable varsity experience in preparation for the tournament.
- The SVL is one of the most competitive conferences around and I expect more of the same this season. Saginaw High (defending Regional Champs) and Mt. Pleasant (defending SVL North Champs) are the presumptive favorites entering the season, and rightfully so based on their recent success and key players set to return.